Kidrobot LGBTQ Pride Collection Celebrating LOVE & Projects That Make Us PROUD
June is LGBTQ PRIDE month and celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots in Manhattan. As you browse the web or step into a mall or turn on the TV or listen to music in 2018, you might not realize how much of a different world it is today than it was a decade ago. In 2018’s America, not only is style an “anything goes” mentality but everywhere you go you now see brands and companies “proudly” displaying rainbow and inclusive support for the LGBTQ community. Creating products to celebrate individuality and freedom to be who you are. Its fashionable now to be on the “right” side of history, for companies to support all PEOPLE. Its incredible to be in a time where the people are standing up and saying all lives matter and should be respected no mater what gender, race, ethnicity, ability, sexuality or any other factors that make us different. It’s also important for us to realize that it’s not like this everywhere and that people around the world are still fighting for their lives. It’s our responsibility to stand up.
If you are new to the art toy scene or unfamiliar with Kidrobot’s history you might not know much about Kidrobot’s progressive and transformative past. While it might be fashionable for an organization to be supportive of LGBTQ people and embrace diversity now, it’s important to realize that it is still fairly new for large corporations to be an advocate for diversity. I personally chose to join the Kidrobot team years ago because Kidrobot has always been on the front lines for progress and weren’t afraid to be at the forefront of art, culture and change. When many businesses were not embracing diversity, culture and projects that challenged mainstream thoughts because it was too “risky”, Kidrobot was pioneering projects that celebrated art, diversity and culture. Kidrobot was built on questioning the status quo and supporting art, artists and projects that rocked. It definitely wasn’t the most profitable way to build a brand but to Kidrobot it was the only way. This outlook contributed to me and many others becoming proud bots!
With New York Pride taking over NYC this weekend, we thought it would be fun to showcase a few of the many LGBTQ friendly projects that Kidrobot has been a part of throughout the years. Here are a few:
- Heatherette: The Empire Series (2006) – Heatherette was an American fashion company started by club kid Richie Rich and Traver Rains. Kidrobot teamed up with Heatherette in 2006 to create Heatherette: The Empire Series, a mini figure series featuring LGBT nightlife icons and fashionistas including Amanda Lapore, Macky Dugan, Paris Hilton, Aimee Phillips, Richie Rich and Traver Rains.
- PRIDE Mini ‘Stache Labbit Art Toy 5-Pack by Frank Kozik and Kidrobot (2008) – Kidrobot and famed San Fransisco based artist/Kidrobot Creative Director Frank Kozik are celebrating with the PRIDE Mini ‘Stache Labbit Art Toy 5-Pack. The rainbow colored mustached Labbits come packaged in a PRIDE window box. Each Labbit is created with Kidrobot’s legendary high quality vinyl and feature the signature Labbit shape and “butthole.” Get these Labbits for your collection and as a gift just in time for LGBTQ Pride month! These Labbits are a favorite and you can still get them today at Kidrobot.com!
- Mr. TTT Rainbow Bench (2010) – Kidrobot and Friends With You are teamed up to give you a place to rest your rump. They have come up with Mr. TTT the bench, a piece of furniture to brighten up any room. “Sit down for a while and chat with Mr. TTT, a totally amazing 34-inch colorfully-squircled fiberglass furniture-friend, and one of the magical Wish Come True characters from Miami art collective Friends With You.”
- Dunny Series 2012 Case Pack Exclusive – SUPER SUCKLORD’s Gay Empire, Suckadelic Overmaster – Supreme (2012) – Bringing the Force to Dunny Series 2012 SUPER SUCKLORD’s Gay Empire, Suckadelic Overmaster – Supreme Dunny rules the vinyl galaxy as the rare case pack exclusive.
- GAY EMPIRE SUCKADELIC OVERMASTER SUPREME – LEATHER DADDY EXCLUSIVE by SUCKLORD (2012) – Now, Dunny is the master. His weapon of choice? Being fabulous.
KIDROBOT X KIETH HARING X (RED) COLLECTION (2013) – Kidrobot joined Keith Haring and (RED) in the fight against AIDS with the launch of a Special Edition Kidrobot (PRODUCT)RED Collection. The collection included three sizes of the Kidrobot Mascot Bot (1.5” keychain, 3” vinyl figure, 7” vinyl figure), as well as a specially designed adjustable snap-back cap and a knit beanie to benefit the Global Fund grants that (RED) supports have impacted more than 14 million people with prevention, treatment, counseling, HIV testing and care services. Read more about it on the Kidrobot blog.
- SPONGEBOB(RED) ENAMEL PIN SET BY KIDROBOT (2017) – Kidrobot teamed up with Nickelodeon and (RED) for a special Spongebob Squarepants (RED) Enamel Pin Set. Kidrobot is happy to add some feel good glam to your wardrobe game with three Spongebob Squarepants enamel pins! These glimmering pins in the signature red color feature the outline of everyone’s favorite undersea dweller who lives in a pineapple. Kidrobot’s contribution to (RED)’s fight against AIDS can provide over 3,000 days of life-saving medication. Support the cause and give your loved one these iconic pins! These are still available at Kidrobot.com.
VLADONNA (2018) – In 2018, Kidrobot introduced the world to Vladonna, a drag inspired curvaceous customizable fashion & art doll with unlimited possibilities. What happens when artist / RuPaul’s Drag Race star PEARL (aka Matthew Lent), famed doll diva Gina Garan and premier designer art toy brand, Kidrobot, get together? Meet Vladonna! Vladonna is the brand new icon that gives you a platform to take your imagination and creativity to a new level.
Collect all three Vladonna DIY Alternative Fashion Dolls now exclusively at Kidrobot.com!
Kidrobot is PROUD to support the LGBTQ community by getting behind projects that make us PROUD! Let’s celebrate pop art, people and let LOOOVVVEE grow!! Check out some of the current Kidrobot art toys we picked just for LGBTQ Pride Month with the PRIDE Collection at Kidrobot.com!
The post Kidrobot LGBTQ Pride Collection Celebrating LOVE & Projects That Make Us PROUD appeared first on Kidrobot Blog.
Also in Kidrobot Blog: Art, Design & Pop Culture | Kidrobot.com
Q & A with Toy Designer One-Eyed Girl AKA Kasey Tararuj on release of The Rejects - Dark Chocolate Edition on Kidrobot.com. "I’ve been paralyzed and in a wheelchair for almost 20 years and I spent so much of that time creating all this weird, emotional art to help deal with it. I got to a point where that got old and making these silly characters was way more therapeutic than trying to put my feelings into a painting. So now I make my little guys to make myself laugh or smile and hope that it does the same for others." -One-Eyed Girl AKA Kasey Tararuj
The post Q & A with Toy Designer One-Eyed Girl AKA Kasey Tararuj appeared first on Kidrobot Blog.
A few years ago, a member of the Kidrobot team met architect and Locknesters founder Fleet Hower at a trade show. At this show, Locknesters was introducing BEAR, their first three-dimensional puzzle bear figure...
The post The Story Behind the Locknester Puzzle Dunny & How They Are Made appeared first on Kidrobot Blog.
Fleet Hower of LOCKNESTERS has temporarily converted their New York-based studio from the production of art decor items like the Puzzle Dunny to the production of face shield visors for health care workers due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The post LOCKNESTERS CREATING FACE SHIELDS FOR COVID-19 HEALTH CARE WORKERS appeared first on Kidrobot Blog.